Thursday, January 13, 2011

Keeping my mind off the floods

Much of Queensland is under water. My hometown of Ipswich was expecting record water levels but at 19.5m it did not quite get to the 1974 level. Thankfully the worst thing that has happened to family and friends is power lost and roads cut off. My heart goes out to the families where members lives have been lost. The events that happened on Tuesday the 11th were such a tragedy.

I have been weighing up whether it is appropriate to post that I have been sewing when so many have lost their possessions or at least their power. Sewing is my hobby but I use it as a time to reflect and pray. As I was sewing yesterday, I was just so thankful for my family being safe and sound.

This is Jalie 2804 - the empire crossover top. The pattern comes in a range of sizes, for children to plus size adult, and there are 4 sleeve options (sleeveless, cap, 3/4, long) and two front panel options (flat or gathered). I went with the flat front and cap sleeves.

Based on my measurements, I went with a size T. For reference, I use a Burda 38 for my upper body. I forgot to adjust for my sloped shoulders, so I ended up retro-fitting the shoulder area to get rid of the wrinkles. I used a hot pink viscose elastane fabric left over from a tee I made the other year.

It's a great fit, nice and fitted, but I don't like the way the modesty panel pulls at the sleeves. This is because the elastic is shorter than the panel length to fit snug to the body, but it just tries to compensate by stealing some of the sleeve and then gives some ugly wrinkles.

This Jalie pattern, when compared to my Kwik Sew patterns, has a lot more length. I decided that in the future, I would compare it and then reduce the length if I felt it was excessive. I feel it is a little unflattering as it stops at my widest point (a big no no for us pear shapes).

Well, the next day when I made it again, I shortened it by 6cm and did not bother with the modesty panel. I used a printed viscose elastane, from my local Bargain Box fabric store and eleccted to use the 3/4 sleeves, since I know that I will be needing them soon and my current ones are worn out.

I think this length is a little more flattering on me.
One of my goals for this year is to use more fabric than I buy. Instead of just shelving the leftover half metre, I thought I would cut out another top and sewing it up at the same time (you know, production line style).

This pattern is Kwik Sew 3032. It has some gathers at the front bust. My coverstitch machine was being a princess, so I sewed the neck and armhole seams with a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine. Before my CS machine, I would use a twin needle, but I was feeling rather lazy after threading and rethreading my touchy machine.